Wednesday, 1 July 2009

The Eagle Has Landed!

Apologies for the delay in starting this blog. The internet connection we were expecting in our Kampala home isn’t in evidence and we were thrown straight into VSO training the moment we got off the plane. Therefore, we’ve had to wait until Alison starts her job at the hospital before getting internet access. We should be able to update the site at least on a weekly basis, but things aren’t as technologically advanced here as we imagined!
First thing is that everyone is fit and well, bar the odd mild tummy upset (only really Alan from his more adventurous/cavalier approach to trying the local cuisine!) and only the one mossie bite, which Bella took on the cheek and then got infected. We’ve only really managed to pause for breath today after a week of ‘in country’ training and setting up our Ugandan home. We were very lucky to be taking over both a job and house from Pete and Fiona, who have been fabulous in helping us settle in and introduce us to essential local amenities and ‘dos and don’ts’. Without a car, it can prove quite tricky getting yourself established, but Alison’s packing was first class and the house even has some nice homely touches including plenty of pictures of friends and family- thanks for all your contributions.
Amy, Zoe and Bella have settled in incredibly well, from the moment we left the airport. They have embraced the whole African adventure and kept us laughing when things have got a little hairy, such as lack of beds and mosquito nets on our first night in our home! The heat and new cuisine don’t seem to have phased them either, although they did pass on the grasshoppers that we were offered as we dined in the street on our first night in Kampala. Having said that, they have been quite happy to try the odd fish head or two! Amy was the star pupil in language training and has been trying it out at every available opportunity, which are numerous given the amount of attention Muzungus (white people) attract on the streets. We’ve only walked a few paces from the front door, when we have numerous little hands from the neighbouring slum slipped into ours. After Alison’s first day at the hospital she was walked the 20 minutes home by a group of young schoolkids eager to exchange names. We already feel very welcome in the local community and feel very safe, even at night, although the mossies do tend to keep us indoors.We’ll fill you in further on our new lifestyle in due course. Thank you for all your emails; we do appreciate your support and updates, even if we can’t respond as yet.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you've arrived safely and been welcomed by your new neighbours. Please let me know how you've managed to keep those mossies away, I know they're going to eat me alive